2 December 2011
The Pacific Urban Forum was convened by UN-HABITAT, UN ESCAP Pacific Office and the Commonwealth Local Government Forum (CLGF) Pacific in Nadi, Fiji from 30 November to 2 December 2011. Over 65 participants representing 8 Pacific Island countries, development partners (Asian Development Bank, AusAID, New Zealand Aid Programme, the Pacific Institute of Public Policy, Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat, the Pacific Regional Infrastructure Facility, UNDP Pacific Centre and UNFPA), NGOs and academia attended the 3 day forum. Discussions centred around mobilising action for addressing the region's urban challenges and revisited the Pacific Urban Agenda 2 (2007). The plenary learned of the many activities and advances in urban policy and initiatives some countries have made and dialogue focused on the need for greater leadership and "champions" of urban issues, more effective marketing strategies of achievements and the critical need to do more with an emphasis on partnerships and monitoring to achieve greater advancement of the Pacific Urban Agenda. The forum ended with a reaffirmed commitment to the Pacific Urban Agenda as a framework for action and have agreed on the key action points to carry forward.
For further information, please contact, HPM Pacific on Mecartneyfirstname.lastname@example.org
- UN-Habitat's Cities and Climate Change Initiative concluded a Pacific Partners Workshop in Suva, Fiji from 21-23 November.
- Pacific Urban Forum
- Fiji : From the activities of the Cities and Climate Change Initiative in Fiji
- 2010 Pacific Local Government Symposium: Building local government alliances: for vibrant and resilient local economies and communities in the Pacific
- Tuvalu : Funafuti Urban Dialogue, Tuvalu, 2 and 5 July 2010
- Fiji : Launching of Fiji's Rapid Urban Sector Profiling, June 2010
- Vanuatu : National Urban Dialogue 6-8 October 2009