Background and Objectives
Quang Nam province is poor agricultural province located at heart of the most disaster prone area of Vietnam. Since Doi Moi, the province has seen important socio-economic and spatial changes manifesting in a rapid emergence of large-scale industrial zones and turist facilities. However, the rapid economic growth also put pressure and risks in the effective use of environmental resources. Therefore, the introduction of a new strategic and participatory planning framework is necessary.
- Strengthen capacity of national and local officials on strategic planning and CDS/PDS with integration of gender, environment, climate change and disaster management considerations;
- Facilitate the preparation of PDS for Quang Nam to guide the provincial development and investment, with particular focus on urban development, environmental sustainability, climate change and social equity; and
- Provide national level policy recommendations on institutionalization of CDS/PDS in the planning system.
Main activities include;
- Provide training to staff of MPI, MOC, ACVN, local staff and PDS Task Force on strategic planning and CDS preparation;
- Conduct a SWOT analysis and poverty analysis using GIS/MIS technology for the development strategy undertaken through consultation with stakeholders including an analysis of climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- Activity 4: Identify and reach consensus on a Vision, overall direction and specific strategies, for sustainable long-term development with integration of climate change considerations.
- Prepare a Policy Proposition Papers/Recommendations on CDS/PDS and its relevance to improving socio-economic planning, urban and regional planning and investment planning in Vietnam.
Expected results are as follows:
- Capacity of national and local officials on strategic planning and CDS/PDS with integration of gender, environment, climate change and disaster management considerations is improved;
- PDS for Quang Nam to guide the provincial development and investment, with particular focus on urban development, environmental sustainability, climate change and social equity is prepared and implemented;
- Recommendations are made to national level policy on institutionalization of CDS/PDS in the planning system are facilitated.
- Support to Development of Low-Income Housing Policy and Strategy for Vietnam Cities
- Quang Nam Provincial Development Strategy
- Urban Observatory System in Vietnam
- Preparation of Proposal on City Development Strategy for Thanh Hoa City
- Localizing the Millennium Development Goals in Vietnamese Cities (Completed)
- Vietnam Urban Forum (Completed)