Background and Objectives
The conflict in the Federally Administered Tribal Agencies (FATA) and North Western Frontier Province (NWFP) of Pakistan and the consequent displacement of households and communities from their areas of origin has resulted in destruction, damage and depreciation of the housing stock. Significant numbers of IDPs have returned and the Provincial Disaster Management Authority of the NWFP Government is expecting that returns will continue into the early part of 2010. In September 2009 UNHCR launched a shelter programme for 25.000 shelters supporting the permanent return of IDPs and requested UN-HABITAT to provide coordination, technical assistance and monitoring of the programme.
The overall goal of the project is the technical coordination of the UNHCR Implementing Partners for the construction of 25,000 temporary shelters in FATA and the Malakand Division of NWFP.
- •Provide technical coordination to the overall UNHCR intervention of 25.000 shelters for returned population in Malakand Division and FATA.
- •Provide technical support for implementation of the overall UNHCR intervention of 25.000 shelters for returned population in Malakand Division and FATA.
- •Provide monitoring of quality and quantity of shelters of the overall UNHCR intervention of 25.000 shelters for returned population in Malakand Division and FATA.
- •Provide training for shelter programme components and construction training to UNHCR, Implementing Partners, Communities and beneficiaries of IPs.
- •UN-Habitat after verification has issued completion certificates to 6,666 shelters. These are out of the 8,095 shelters that were reported completed by mid 2010.
- •The following trainings have been imparted:
- »Sphere standards training was imparted to 20 participants of the implementing partners
- »GPS training was imparted to selected participants of the implementing partners
- •Standard Operation Procedures (SoPs) for shelter programme were finalised
Development Partners / Partners
Development partner: UNHCR
Partners: NWFP Government, FATA Administration, PDMA, UNHCR Implementing Partners
- Pakistan Settlements Flood Recovery Project (PSFRP)
- Primary School Reconstruction in Muzaffarabad (Completed)
- Humanitarian Information and Coordination (Completed)
- Transitional Shelter Provision for Baluchistan Earthquake Victims (Completed)
- Shelter Assistance to IDPs Living Outside of Camps (Completed)
- Water and Sanitation Improvements in Informal Settlements (Completed)
- Disaster Risk Management
- Sustainable Urbanization and Sustainable Energy Construction
- Shelter Assistance to Returnees in Conflict-affected Areas in NWFP (Completed)
- Documenting and Communicating Results Achieved and Lessons Learnt in the Post 2005 Earthquake Rural Housing Reconstruction Programme
- Reconstruction of Girls School in Swat District
- Improving Living conditions of IDPs out off camps through WASH Interventions (Completed)
- Facilitating Access to Safer Land for Earthquake Victims (Completed)
- Strengthening Post-Earthquake Reconstruction
- Joint UN Post-Disaster Assessment Mechanisms (Completed)
- Emergency Shelter Kit Procurement and Distribution (Completed)
- Post-Flood Information Management and Coordination (Completed)
- Facilitating Access to Land for Earthquake Affected Families (Completed)
- Technical and Training Support for the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (Completed)
- Support to Spontaneous Shelter Recovery in Earthquake-affected Villages (completed)
- Support To Spontaneous Shelter Recovery in Earthquake Affected Villages in Pakistan (completed)
- Technical Support for National Urban Poverty Alleviation Programme (Completed)