Background and Objectives
Following the 2005-earthquake, the Government of Pakistan (GoP), with the assistance of the World Bank launched an ambitious Rural Housing Reconstruction Program. This programme has been unique in a number of ways, from the owner-driven reconstruction concept underpinning it to the many milestones achieved early in its implementation. The Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA) of the Government of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan adopted an owner-driven approach for the post earthquake rural housing reconstruction process. Individual families rebuilt their homes assisted by Government grants. It is critical that the program principles, achievements, implementation challenges, and lessons learnt are documented in a manner that can form ready reference materials for similar future post-disaster initiatives.
The proposal is for systematic documentation of lessons learned from RHRP wit the key objective to assist the Government of Pakistan in strengthening disaster preparedness at the national level, and improving the quality and impact of post-disaster management, recovery, and reconstruction programmes.
- •Detailed Analysis of strategic principles, conceptual and policy frameworks, implementation processes and mechanisms, of the post-earthquake Rural Housing Reconstruction Programmme.
- •Deduction, documentation and dissemination of results and lessons learnt from the achievements and challenges of implementation of the RHRP.
- •Application and utilization of the lessons learnt in the design and implementation of future housing reconstruction programs in particular, as well as overall reconstruction programs in general.
- •Development of a best practice toolkit for informing future Government and Bank-supported disaster management, response, and reconstruction interventions in the country and elsewhere, with a special emphasis on the shelter and housing sector.
- •The document is under preparation. To date eight chapters have been completed and sent to the World Bank for review. Reference material and other documentation have also been collected to finalise the document.
Development Partners / Partners
Donor: World Bank
Partners: The Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA), World Bank
- Pakistan Settlements Flood Recovery Project (PSFRP)
- Primary School Reconstruction in Muzaffarabad (Completed)
- Humanitarian Information and Coordination (Completed)
- Transitional Shelter Provision for Baluchistan Earthquake Victims (Completed)
- Shelter Assistance to IDPs Living Outside of Camps (Completed)
- Water and Sanitation Improvements in Informal Settlements (Completed)
- Disaster Risk Management
- Sustainable Urbanization and Sustainable Energy Construction
- Shelter Assistance to Returnees in Conflict-affected Areas in NWFP (Completed)
- Documenting and Communicating Results Achieved and Lessons Learnt in the Post 2005 Earthquake Rural Housing Reconstruction Programme
- Reconstruction of Girls School in Swat District
- Improving Living conditions of IDPs out off camps through WASH Interventions (Completed)
- Facilitating Access to Safer Land for Earthquake Victims (Completed)
- Strengthening Post-Earthquake Reconstruction
- Joint UN Post-Disaster Assessment Mechanisms (Completed)
- Emergency Shelter Kit Procurement and Distribution (Completed)
- Post-Flood Information Management and Coordination (Completed)
- Facilitating Access to Land for Earthquake Affected Families (Completed)
- Technical and Training Support for the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (Completed)
- Support to Spontaneous Shelter Recovery in Earthquake-affected Villages (completed)
- Support To Spontaneous Shelter Recovery in Earthquake Affected Villages in Pakistan (completed)
- Technical Support for National Urban Poverty Alleviation Programme (Completed)