UN-Habitat, through its Cities and Climate Change Initiative (CCCI) supports local governments to more readily respond to the climatic threats faced by cities and their populations (building Climate Resilience). It further aims to take steps in reducing cities’ climate footprint (Climate Change Mitigation).
CCCI is now globally active in 40 cities. UN-Habitat provides support in the development of climate change vulnerability assessments and climate change action plans. In some countries CCCI supports policy processes: urban and local government concerns are integrated in climate change policies and urban policies need to recognize climate change
A number of tools in support of local action have been developed. Capacity development programmes in partnership with local government training institutes and universities are underway.
For more information please contact: email@example.com or visit http://www.unhabitat.org/ccci.
Cities and Climate Change Initiative Newsletter
CCCI in the Asia-Pacific Region
In the Asia-Pacific Region, CCCI continues to expand, now supporting 30 cities. A regional strategy supports the further expansion. The regional programme brings local partners together to jointly learn and share experiences on themes such vulnerability assessments and planning for climate change, urban ecosystem based adaptation, climate change and multilevel governance.
The Asia-Pacific Issue Brief Series on Urbanization and Climate Change
UN-Habitat has been involved in a large number of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, working with their governments to improve climate change adaptation and mitigation policies.
- Lao PDR
- Papua New Guinea
- Sorsogon City CCCI Overview (October 2009) (PDF 1.1MB)
- Sorsogon City Climate Change Vulnerability Assessment (PDF 7.2MB)
- Participatory Climate Change Assessments: A Toolkit Based on the Experience of Sorsogon City, Philippines (2010) (PDF 1.9MB)
- Sorsogon City Terminal Climate Change Project Report (2012) (PDF 1.7MB)
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
- Batticaloa and Negombo CCCI Overview (August 2010) (PDF 336KB)
- Case Study at Monako Gomo (PDF 1.7MB)
- Climate Resilient Action Plans for Coastal Urban Areas in Sri Lanka (2012) (PDF 578KB)
- Batticaloa Municipal Council Vulnerability Assessment (January 2013) (PDF 4.3MB)
- Negombo Municipal Council Vulnerability Assessment (January 2013) (PDF 4.4MB)